Okay, you have a Twitter Account, and you feel pretty good about how your using it to engage with consumers. BUT, have you optimized your Twitter account for SEO? It may be easier than you think. SEO and Social Media have steadily been moving closer together and becoming more dependent upon each other. But Community should always come before SEO. Check out these easy ways to optimize your twitter account for SEO:
- Use strong keywords and phrases in your Twitter’s 160 character bio – on Twitter, your ‘bio’ is actually the meta description for your Twitter Home Page, making it an incredibly important aspect of SEO.
- Before uploading your profile pic, name the picture file using keywords. Like “Joe-Jones-Real-Estate”. The search engines will index the file name, giving it far more SEO juice than a standard file name.
- Use bit.ly to shorten links that you tweet – it creates a permanent 301 redirect to your content! A 301 redirect is a permanent redirect from one URL to the other, meaning that you’re creating an additional URL to your content. The original url benefits from the SEO juice, and not just the bit.ly url itself. (it’s a double down!)
- Search Engines will index the first 27-40 characters of a “tweet” as the title tag – so use keywords in the first 27-40 characters of your tweet! Keep the keywords relevant to the rest of the tweet and any link you are sharing in the tweet.
- Use hashtags – The # symbol, is used to mark keywords or topics in a tweet, making the tweet searchable for those particular words. I do not recommend using more than 2 hashtags per tweet.
- The more followers you have the better. Google sees your followers as ‘inbound links’ to your profile – meaning the more followers you have, the more your pagerank within Google improves.
- Tweet often and tweet about hot/current topics – It will help improve your chances of appearing in search results because search engines always give priority to hot or trending topics.
See You There
Join Obeo on Facebook & Twitter, for Fan & Follower only special promotions!